Re: 1275cc bore and hone question

To: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: 1275cc bore and hone question
From: "Ron Soave" <redlotus@spacey.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 21:50:43 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Excellent, excellent advice, Les.  From my post last night, it was only $28
to install pistons on rods.

Question on honing - shouldn't the new pistons have come with info on the
honing pattern?  They're AE pistons.  The machinist says he doesn't need it
- his machine "figures it out automatically" based on geometry.  This is
new to me.  Any experience with this out here?  I'm calling the distributor
anyway.

> From: Les Myer <lmyer@sprynet.com>
> To: Matt Liggett <mliggett-receive-spridgets@elise.kiva.net>
> Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: 1275cc bore?
> Date: Friday, April 03, 1998 8:06 PM
>
> The machinist will have to install the pistons on the rods
> >
> >The wrist pins are an interference fit in the rods and fit close in the
> >pistons.  Correct?
>
> on a 1275, yes.
> >
> >What tools will the machinist use to do this?
>
> a press and a special piston fixture is usually used - this is called
> pressing the piston pins out and in.
> >
> >I have been told it is doable by heating the pistons and rods to about
> >450degF and chilling the wrist pins in the freezer overnight.
> >
> Could work - I have never seen published instructions on doing this.
Plus