Need help with SU's

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Need help with SU's
From: Shannon <squeedle@khoral.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 08:57:01 -0600 (MDT)
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Here are my symptoms:

1) When I adjust the fuel mixture per Haynes manual's instruction, the
back one is always too rich (as evidenced by carboned-up spark plugs).

2) both linkages (choke & throttle) do not return the way they should, in
spite of extra springs all over the place.

3) Corollary to 2, when I synchronize the carbs, a) it's almost impossible
to get the back one not to have a louder hiss, b) invariably when I
retighten the throttle linkage, 2 things happen - the idle speed decreases
and the carbs become de-synched (yes, the back one is louder).  Then when
I drive the thing, the idle speed goes back up to 2000RPM

I'm afraid I've messed up the throttle linkage by pressing too hard on the
bolts - the back one is hard to reach and tighten.

Basically I'm not sure what to do about it.  I futzed with it for 2 hours
last night, & it seemed to be ok when I raised the throttle up, but then
this morning it was back to idling at 2000RPM once I got on the road.

I can tell where it sticks, too, although I don't know the name of the
part(s).  Between the back carb & the linkage bolt there is some sort of
spacer and the 2-tine fork-shaped piece of metal, which links to the
little linkage pin thingie, and which actually seems to open the throttle.
If you press on this piece of metal firmly, the idle speed goes back down,
but this is not where it naturally returns to.

Unfortunately the throttle adjustment screw on the back carb is almost all
the way out.  So basically I'm not sure what to do now - rebuild the
carb(s), get new linkage(s) or what?

Addendum:  when looking at it last night, I noticed that the front carb
piston was stuck open.  When I took it apart, I noticed that someone (NOT
me) did not reinstall it correctly - the needle was just resting in the
bottom, with the spacer sitting on top of it!  This was not like this
before I took it to a certain mechanic.  Anyway, I put the needle back the
way it was supposed to be.  Could this have caused some of these problems?
Would it still cause these problems?

Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to give a full description so you kind
folks could help me out better.  :)

Thanks,
Shannon
        If I had a dime for every dime I had. . .