Plug for hole in cylinder head?

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Plug for hole in cylinder head?
From: dingram@tnet.net (DOUGLAS W. INGRAM)
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 14:36:09 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
My 58 Bugeye has a 948 engine, at least the block clearly shows "950" on the
left side front as it should.

There is a threaded hole in the cylinder head, right above the engine number
plate on the front right side. Look like 5/8", can't tell if it is fine
thread or not.

Coolant fluid pours out of there, and the only reference I can find in parts
books, manuals, etc. is in Haynes as the spot for the water temperature
sensor for a 1275 engine. The sensor on my car is on the radiator, top right
side, same as in pictures in Horler. I can't find anything so far in the
factory parts manual, Vic Brit, or Moss.

Is it possible that a 1275 cylinder head has been fitted to my 948 block?

Can I just plug this hole with an appropriate size bolt?

If so, can anyone advise what the size of the bolt would be?

TIA,

Doug Ingram
58 Bugeye
AN5L/636