Re: su throttle shafts

To: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: su throttle shafts
From: Greg MAHNEY <mahney@central.murdoch.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 10:01:30 +0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I was reading in Vizard's book on the weekend that one of the cheapest, and
most beneficial mods you can do to the A-series engine is to REDUCE the
size of the SU's shafts.  He actually recommends reducing the width by
about half, and even filing off the ends of the screws that hold the
butterflys on (though you need to Loctitie them in place).  He describes a
few other changes too.  Like rounding off the piston edge, and puting a
knife edge on the butterfly.

Now this is all from memory, I haven't got the book here, and I haven't
tried it.   I seem to recall him saying  these mods were the equivalent of
going up to the next size carb - not bad for a couple of hours with a file!

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has tried this out, any problems they
experienced, and whether they noticed a change in performance.

Greg