Re: My 1500 Piper cam is seized

To: Eric Mumford <mumford@rpi.edu>
Subject: Re: My 1500 Piper cam is seized
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 19:43:23 -0400
Cc: spridgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Eric Mumford wrote:

> >   Sadly, it likely won't budge because there is a massive tangle
> > of bent valves jamming it that way.
>
> Hrm.  I hope not.  So are you suggesting that the timing chain broke
> FIRST, the pistons pummeled the valves into au gratin potatoes gone
> wrong, and locked the camshaft?

  Well, since your "incident" occured at speed, it is almost
guaranteed that there was a time the engine was turning over with
the cam either stopped or turning over out of sync with the
pistons.

  Piston to valve contact is more or less inevitable unless the engine
block was made from melted horseshoes.

  Contact and damage are two different things, but I think you
should pull the head and check even if you get it turning over
again. Only costs you a gasket. ;>

--
Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
tboicey@brit.ca, http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/