Day Off - Are We Having Fun Yet?

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Day Off - Are We Having Fun Yet?
From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 1998 18:04:44 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Well, I'm just as frustrated as I can be.  My whole day off is gone and I
got zilch done.  Subject - suspension upgrade to replace nonexistent and
worn bushings.  Here's the story.

I spent a good part of the day walking (because I have no car) around
looking for long bolts that are threaded to lower the wishbone off the
spring and take the springs off.  Seems no one sells bolts threaded all the
way down and are quick to point out to you that no one really needs those.
Of course, ignoring that =I= need those.  Anyway, found a place with
threaded rod and was able to rig up what I needed to lower the wishbone.  I
got the spring off and then tackled the two inner fulcrum pins.  Got one
nut off.  Haynes says to "tap" the fulcrum pin out.  Sure.  Tapping will
really work.  Ok, so I levered off the two washers on the end with the nut
without terribly ruining them.  Still, no "tapping" the fulcrum pin out.  I
levered it out.  One side dismantled.  Went to the other side.  Nut
turns....and turns....and turns.  I'm thinking it's stripped.  Great.  Now
it looks like it may rain a bit so I put the top up and came in to cool
off.  I was getting so frustrated that I couldn't see straight.  11am to
6pm and not one bushing in.

So, I turn to the faithful list that has preserved more than one mechanic's
sanity.  What to do now?  I don't own many tools and that is half my
problem.  The other half is I don't know what I'm doing.  I probably should
have taken the car to a competent mechanic, signed a second mortgage and
said "fix it".  But silly me, I wanted to learn how to fix my own.  Despite
my current frustration I'm still determined not to remain a mechanical idiot.

What can I do with the ever turning fulcrum nut?  Torch it off, angle grind
it off, hacksaw it off?  I don't own a torch or an anglegrinder.  I do own
a hacksaw.  :)  I can't see that the fulcrum pin is turning. Besides that
seems impossible given those little tabs they have on the ends.  So I guess
there is no hope of just putting a wrench on it and turning the nut while
holding the fulcrum pin steady.

Without getting the other side off it doesn't look like I can get the
bushing on the pin I did get out.  It seems to me that I have to get both
inner pins out, swing the wishbone down, fit the bushings and then swing it
back up and tighten everything down.  Is this right.

Gods above, I haven't even started with the trunnion bushings or the wheel
bearings.  Not to mention the rear suspension.

Help?

Philip
Burgundy 1974 Midget