Steering Wheel Nut

To: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Steering Wheel Nut
From: "Daryl May" <mayfam@sprynet.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 17:54:28 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I acquired my Bugeye in pieces with the steering wheel nut off.  Now I am
having trouble getting the steering wheel nut to "take" on the steering
column thread.  Have tried 2 different nuts with the same result. The nuts
look good.

The steering column thread also looks good, and I have filed the end to try
to provide the best possible starting grip.  The thread does, however, look
as if it MAY be compressed as if someone had beaten the end of the column
with a hammer to try to free up the steering wheel.  What's wrong with this
theory is that the compression is not on the last thread or two, but all
along the length.

Anyone got any idea how to handle this?  If I need to shoot a die down the
steering column thread, what thread is involved and are such dies easily
available?  Really I'd prefer a simpler solution, and I absolutely don't
want to remove the column, put it on a lathe to remove the existing thread
and die a new (smaller) thread on.

Thanks!

Daryl