Metal Bushing Mystery

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Metal Bushing Mystery
From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 22:27:53 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
As the list will recall, the driver's side inner control arm on my 1974
Midget have had "custom" metal bushings installed.  No rubber anywhere and
it isn't that it wore off.  The metal bushings (only thing I can think to
call them) are of a size and shape that there is no rubber/poly bushing
that could go on at the same time as these.

I've got my poly bushings installed on the other side and now need to fix
this problem.  I was thinking I couldn't get them out and so I have been
looking for a decent used a-arm.  Think I have a place fairly local where I
can go and actually look at them to see what the condition is.  BUT, I'd
rather save my current arm as apart from the weird bushings it seems ok.
Who wants to spend the money on replacing something that doesn't seem
broken and besides I'd rather not have to take the outer fulcrum pin out if
I don't have to.  Doesn't look like there is play there now and I'm afraid
there will be once I replace the arm.  That's the way it usually goes for
me it seems.  :)

So ...  advice on how to get these things out?  I think they may be
aluminum - they are that color anyway and seem softer than most steel.  The
outer sides seem to be silver soldered in whereas each inner side looks
like they are just jammed in.  I am guessing silver solder as it doesn't
look like a weld - no real melted metal look.  It seems to be a fairly thin
layer of solder meant just to hold it in place while the fulcrum pins were
installed.

Can I use a propane torch to soften the solder and loosen things up and
just pull the dang things out do you suppose?  Or heat it and use a chisel
to get behind the lip of the bushing and lever it out?  If I chisel is it a
"cold chisel" that I need?  I've heard the term but not sure what it is.  I
just know I'll need something really hard to stand up to the metal of the
bushing.

Any other suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
Philip