Dead Battery

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Dead Battery
From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 22:46:49 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
If you'll all recall, a while ago I was asking about my supposedly bad
starter.  Turned out my battery was dead as when I jumped it from the Honda
it fired right up without a hitch.  I know I need to get it charged and
tested and I think I remember that to test my charging system I can check
for something like 14 volts across the battery terminals while it is running.

First of all, is that last bit right?

Second, I've thought of something which may be why my battery ran down.
For some unknown reason, right before I laid up the Midget for front end
work, my reverse lights came on and stayed on even when in a forward gear
(1-4).  They were off (correctly so) while in neutral.

Do you think this is a sign that there is a constant drain on the battery
even while iginition is off?  How to go about diagnosing the constantly on
reverse lamps?  Thought about just changing the switch, but thought that
may be an unnecessary expense if it is a short somewhere.

List wisdom?

BTW, please let me take the opportunity here to thank everyone on the list
for the constant flow of advice, encouragement and plain old help provided.
 I couldn't own one of these cars without you all.  And as newby as I still
am, I do see that I am learning which gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling.  :)

Philip
Burgundy 1974 Midget