Re: Tires ... etc !

To: Chuck Ciaffone <chuckc@ibm.net>, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Tires ... etc !
From: "Editors, Molecular Vision" <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 12:53:11 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
At 11:42 AM -0500 6/18/98, Chuck Ciaffone wrote:

> On a less happy note: While pulling the back wheels,
> a found a slow fluid leak from the left side rear axle.
> What am I into here? I'll check Haynes tonite, bit I
> wonder do I need to pull the whole #$%@& rear end or just
> replace a simple seal?

Chuck,

Probably just replace a simple seal. There is an O-ring and a paper gasket
in the face of the hub. Replace both, they're cheap. Use Haynes to guide
you in getting to the face of the hub. Should be very simple; does not
require hub removal. Replace O-ring and gasket and see if the leak is gone.

If the leak persists,  the oil seal in the hub may be shot. This will
require pulling the hub, drifting out the bearing and seal, replacing seal
with new, replacing bearing with old if serviceable or new if not. More
difficult, but I did it without special tools and so can you.

Make sure that the fluid leaking is gear oil (will smell sulfurous) and not
brake fluid.

Jeff

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Senior Editor, Molecular Vision