AW: voodoo

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: AW: voodoo
From: Oram Stephen <Stephen.Oram@nbgm.siemens.de>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 11:36:51 +0200
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
We used to do this sort of stuff in College (Mech Eng.). We had a quartz
window in the top of the piston
with a mirror down in the crankcase being looked at by some very, very
bright lights and a
very, very, very fast camera. We could watch the burn.
Only a Diesel engine goes bang hence the loud knocking you hear especially
from the older types of motor. The engines are much stronger than petrol
ones to be able to withstand these
fast explosions.

A petrol engine does not go bang!

If it does it punches holes in your pistons.
As the plug ignites the mixture a flame front propagates outwards at a
fairly constant rate. As Chris said this
fairly constant and the trick is to get the pressure wave to start pushing
the top of the piston just as it has
passed TDC. At idle this may mean we need to ignite 5 degress BTDC to get
the flame front to hit the piston at TDC.
At higher revs the piston becomes faster but not the flame front so we need
to progressively
advance the ignition. All sorts of things affect the burn. For example just
putting bigger valves in bigger ports
can be detrimental as the gas velocity becomes too low and the air fuel
mixture coming from the carbs does
not get swirled around enough in the chamber to give proper ignition
characteristics. This is all great to watch
on the camera.
What happens on the leaner mixtures I cannot remember when I get back to
Ireland I'll dig out my old notes.
If I can remember rightly the trick is to get the charge to burn fully and
uniformly without explosion! This is not
easy and has many variables not least of which as I said is the swirl effect
in the chamber. Hence many mods
with bigger carbs, manifolds, ports etc. work really badly if nothing else
is done. If the charge is not fully
mixed then some of the petrol does not burn properly as the local air/fuel
ratio does not conduce ignition. Raw fuel
then exits the exhaust valve not helping power or consumption and probably
causing destruction of  the
catalyser as it gets burnt here. A bigger spark will get the job done better
but it needs loads of energy. I think
the normal Sprite coil draws 4-5 Amps. To get more spark you need more amps!
and the points start to wear
really quickly. Electronic ignition does not wear. A lot of the modern cars
have one coil per plug mounted at
the plug itself. Some cars have twin spark plugs (Alpha Romeo). I think if
you can do it, it is better but the
gains are very cylinder head dependant. What works on one car/mod level may
not bring equal gains on
the next. If your mixture is burning well anyway it won't bring very much.
But you can't just assume that
because it's firing that it's burning well and fully.
If you want power you need to use up all the air you can in the chamber so
you generally run rich. If
you can run leaner and still use all the air then all the better.

(I've just remembered - the flame propagation velocity reduces as the
mixture becomes leaner - I think)

As to the vacuum advance. I thought that this was really only to increase
MPG for road going cars. Race
cars run at WOT most of the time so there is not much vacuum. Road cars
generally run at part throttle.
They are then set up slightly leaner for part throttle settings so the flame
front moves slower so you need
more advance.

OK that's enough for now. It's a bit jumbled but maybe food for thought. I
didn't expect to write so much
but it's a long time since I've done any stuff like that and something new
kept coming back to me.
Sorry if it's long winded or unintelligible.

Steve