RE: voodoo

To: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: voodoo
From: Bert Kleinschmidt <rsk@relaypoint.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 23:12:34 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
My understanding of why cars ping when the throttle is wide open is that as the
VE increases (as Trevor points out) the amount of air/gas mixture being
compressed in the cylinder goes up, resulting in an increase in pressure and
temperature at the top of the compression stroke.

At some temperature and pressure combination the mixture starts to explode, or
"detonate" when ignited (rather than burning with a flame front), or to ignite
from the compression heating alone before the spark which soon leads to
detonation.  Octane in the gasoline resists this compression ignition, so it
keeps the engine from pinging.

The full throttle effect is especially true at low RPMs because (with a mild
cam) the engine has more time to take in a full charge of air (further
increasing the VE).

Vizard's book on Tuning BL's A Series Engine goes through these aspects of the
A-Series engines in much detail.

Bert Kleinschmidt