No taxation without representation :)

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: No taxation without representation :)
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 01:01:58 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I hesitated to write this because I don't want it to be taken personally.
But...

Regardless of who said it, what he said, how he said it, and to whom he
said it, no one person on this list speaks for the list.  I may agree to
signing a petition, I may join a mass email campaign, I may elect someone
to represent me, but I cannot agree to someone 'speaking for me' without
first asking.

And here's the important point: This holds true even if I completely agree
with what was said.

Am I upset about this? Not really. I don't know Frank Clarici in person,
but I wish I did. From all reports, he's a great guy. He has directly
helped me on many, many tasks. In fact, his old posts on the healeys list
and Les Meyer's PDLJMPR are basically why I bought a spridget. I agree with
some of what Frank said; I just don't like the precedent to go unanswered.
I think that this is dangerous because the next guy might not be someone
I'd like to know personally; might not be a 'good' guy; might not say
things that I agree with, but says them in my name, or the list's name,
because a precedent had been set.

Having written all this, I must thank Frank for starting a great thread;
we've talked parts, suppliers, free enterprise, and the fundamentals of
representative and collective action. Quite appropritate on a car list
during the week containing Canada Day and July 4th!

Get out and drive it this weekend!

Jeff

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Editor-in-Chief, Molecular Vision