spridget clutches

To: spridget list <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: spridget clutches
From: Paul Bacon <usbacons@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 1998 20:04:56 +1200
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hi everyone

I'm a newcomer to this spridget news service and all the way from
Christchurch, New Zealand. We are presently running a Mk II Sprite that has
an almost non functioning clutch. The problem seems to be wear in the carbon
thrust bearing.

I suspect that the master cylinder needs attention also. I tried to bleed
the slave cylnder and decided that you need to be a gynecologist  to get at
it with a plastic tube fitted to it. Easy solution - I hooked up a pressure
bleeding system that uses the spare tyre as a pressure source, then loosened
the bleed nipple with a socket wrench and let the fluid dribble into an oil
collection tray underneath. And you don't even have to get under the car to
do it! Good excuse to bleed the brakes at the same time

I understand a short term solution is to get a lengthened push rod
fabricated at a machine shop. One problem I have is that the motor is an A
plus unit from a Marina 1300 (the one with the spin-on oil filter) so there
seems to be some confusion as to parts matching.

re the discussion on suspension bushings. Some of the local one make car
clubs here have contracted to an engineering company to manufacture a dozen
or so sets of urethane or nolathane bushes and then on sell them through the
clubs. The quality is at least as good (usually much better) and a fraction
of the prices charged by the major distributors. Any entrepreneurs out there ?

Hope these comments are of some use

How do you adjust the front wheel bearings of the drum braked cars? I'm told
you shouldn't need shims but I still have movement with a new set of
bearings. Help!!

best wishes

Paul Bacon
Sprite Mk II and 1936 Austin 10 Lichfield (and a Jap crap)