Re: spridget clutches

To: "Paul Bacon" <usbacons@ihug.co.nz>, "spridget list" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: spridget clutches
From: "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 1998 08:54:47 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hi, Paul, and welcome aboard!
I was fortunate enough to visit your lovely city three years ago, and I'm
trying to figure out how to get back down there with a sports car.   New
Zealand is one of the most breathtaking countries I've ever seen.

I believe the design of the clutch is self-adjusting to some extent because
it is intended that wear in the clutch disc friction material and wear in
the carbon bearing should cancel each other out.  The bit about lengthening
the push rod is interesting.  I replaced the clutch in my '73 Midget,
rebuilt the clutch hydraulics, and included a new pushrod from Moss due to
wear in the clevis pin hole.  After getting it all together with the new
(correct, according to Moss) push rod, the clutch would not disengage.  I
pulled out the new rod and compared it with the old one, and that's when I
noticed the old one seemed to have an extension welded to it, rather
crudely.  Put the old one back in, and the clutch worked normally.

We have had this discussion about the pushrod modification on the list
before, and others have said they had a modified rod also, but no one has
come up with a good explanation for it.  If it compensates for wear, I
don't understand why a new pushrod won't work with an all new clutch and
release bearing.  There was a suggestion that the clutch fork might be
bent, but no explanation of how it gets bent.  Since the rod extension
seems to be more than a rare occurrence, I don't think I believe the bent
fork theory.

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC USA
'73 Midget GAN5UD126009G  "OO NINE"
"Truth is precious.  Use it sparingly"  -- Mark Twain