Re: spridget clutches

To: byers@cconnect.net
Subject: Re: spridget clutches
From: Vllas@aol.com
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 1998 00:18:57 EDT
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
steve,
in those days it was common practice to do almost anything to make the car run
right so that it could be sold .......
BMC policy was to replace parts as needed. I can't tell you how many "exchange
of opinions" we had with BMC techs concerning how the devil were we supposed
to measure .001-.003 clearances  or warps on parts that were mounted front end
components. if the alignment was off we were expected to determine which
component was off and by how much....it was a joke, and everybody laughed
including the reps when they were three sheets to the wind.

if you care to make a science of it you might start to measure the lenghts of
the rods.you'll find the better constructed ones are about the same length. i
believe it is because they were done by knowledgeable mechanics of the time
and the others were one off deals.

my dad might remember some of this information and have some anecdotal story
to boot. i'll ask him next time i talk to him.
stay in touch, i have great stories too...just have to remember them.

alex

p.s. when i was a mechanic and later parts man, my dad was the service manager
at the BMC dealer.