Re: spridget clutches

To: byers@cconnect.net
Subject: Re: spridget clutches
From: Vllas@aol.com
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 01:46:43 EDT
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
steve,
without going into fine detail the reasons you specified pretty much covers
it.
for some "irrational" reason it was expected that part would wear at a
virtually prediscribed rate...if you drive 10,000 miles then the throw out
bearing should wear out a total of .0004" and the pressure plate should thin
by .0003" and this part by so much and that part by so much......therefore
considering the muliplication factor in the leverage of the dohiccky valve all
these measurment should cancel each other out exactly and so you will get the
maximum use out of all the parts all of the time.
That's not real life. parts quality, tolerances, driving habits, driving
conditions all have an effect, and so we get unexpected results, and in our
case no adjustments to make up for the variances.
On the subject of adjustments, my brother was saying that a clevis pin with a
threaded rod can installed a la  triumph tr3. that offers a chance to make
finer adjstments.
personally, i think in the long if the clutch gives it up, take the tranny out
and replace everything you can and inspect the rest (in the clutch system)
,and takes care of everything.

to next time,

alex