Re: 1974 Midget - Carbs Continued

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: 1974 Midget - Carbs Continued
From: Hans Huber <hans@desmodromic.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 10:15:34 -0600
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Phillip,

You've got it exactly right - if the needle valve is
sticking closed, that carb will be fuel starved (lean,
perhaps intermittently depending on the frequency and
duration of the sticking).

As for the front carb:  Sometimes, just taking it apart and
putting it back together is enough to dislodge whatever junk
may have been sticking the needle valve open, so you may have
fixed it!  But then again, maybe not :-)

Taking them apart and putting them back together with new
gaskets and what not certainly wouldn't hurt (as JZ
suggested).  I still have the feeling that it'll run without
pulling the carbs, but that's probably just the rosy glow
of imperfect memory of the last time I spend weeks trying to
get carburation sorted out ('66 Sprite, turned out to be
timing).

-Hans "lotsa SUs, but none on running cars at the moment" Huber

<some annoying drivel (mine) removed>