Gas Fumes and Air Pumps

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Gas Fumes and Air Pumps
From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 08:51:30 -0400
Cc: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I'm wondering if anyone can answer a pollution control question for me.
I've got a 1974 MG Midget and a bit of a gas fume problem.  If I run the
car in the garage to test something or other, the fumes can get quite
aromatic.  I always do this with the garage door open so it isn't so much a
health issue as just trying to make sure all is in order.

>From list advice garnered long ago I know I need to look into the evap
cannister and maybe change the charcoal (I have had some minor float bowl
overflow in the past), ensure that my hoses to the evap cannister are good,
look at gaskets on the fuel sending unit and maybe check out the fuel tank
itself.

Here's what I'm asking about today.  My 1974 is supposed to have an air
pump.  It doesn't and one did not come with the car when I bought it though
looking through my box 'o goodies I received with the car revealed a gulp
valve which may or may not still work.  My question is for advice as to
what to do about the missing air pump.  New they are terribly expensive.
I'd definitely search out a used one.  Anyone have any ideas on reasonable
prices?  Is it worth putting it all back together (i.e., will I always have
fume issues without it?  The car passed NJ emissions legitimately so I'm
not that concerned that I am a horrible polluter.  Legitimately meaning the
mech did not put the detector in another car, rev the engine, etc.

Thanks for any advice.

Philip
1974 Damask Midget - Arioch, Lord of Chaos