Re: Painting the engine compartment

To: "Ulix Goettsch" <ulix@u.washington.edu>, <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Painting the engine compartment
From: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 19:26:44 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I have used the Wagner airless spraygun, and I have used the Wagner
HVLP ("Finecoat 400") electric spraygun and of course the usual
compressor setup.

The airless is quite OK, much better than brushing, better than aerosol
cans, but not as good as a quality conventional spraygun (i.e. driven
by a compressor).

The HVLP is stunning. I did my bugeye's fibreglass bonnet with this gun.
It is touch dry after about 10 secs, is extremely easy to use and the
finish is incredibly smooth. I just hand-buffed the paint without any
sanding
and the result was fantastic.

If you have future plans for painting (cars, fences etc), then the finecoat
is great, else just go with the airless.

Mike