Re: Thin mirror material

To: jchurch@exis.net, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Thin mirror material
From: GMari58175@aol.com
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 06:40:53 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 98-08-25 19:04:58 EDT, jchurch@exis.net writes:

<< I received a very nice NOS gift recently for my '59 Bugeye - a rear view
 mirror.  The mirror came in it's original box and packing and is perfect in
 every way but one - the mirror is broken right down the middle.  I removed
 it last night and noted that the mirror was thin - only 1/16" thick.  No
 one, I repeat, no one in town carries the stuff at this thickness.    I've
tried glass shops, hardware stores, craft shops, et
 al, to no avail.  I even looked to the incorrect later model sprite mirror
 currently on the car.  Close, but no cigar.  It is the right thickness, but
 the wrong overall size.  Bummer.

 With such a perfect overall specimen on my hands, I obviously don't want to
 buy a new mirror assembly.  Can anyone out there suggest a source for this
 material? >>

Jeff,
For a small fortune I'd be willing to part with an NOS still in the box
replacment glass.  Or I could be a real nice guy and tell you to call sports n
Classics in Darien Ct. They sell EXACT reproductions of the rear view mirror
for about $12.00.  It seems that this same mirror is often used on alot of kit
cars.  The only difference in the repro and original is that there is no
imprint on the underside of the base.
Just so you know, I hate reproduction parts,  as they very rarely are
acceptable replacments...but this is one part that I was very surprised with.
Hope this helps.

PS:  Can I have the box? I collect BMC/Lucas/Smiths original stuff including
empty boxes.

george marinos