rover shopping help

To: "spridget list" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: rover shopping help
From: "Dustin Howarth" <howarth@pulsenet.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 08:20:45 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
hi gang -

A friend put me onto a '72 landrover Series III short wheelbase that is
sitting at a garage near me.  The guy at the garage said the owner wants to
get rid of it, but wasn't sure about price (sounds like it's going to be
somewhere between $500 and $1500.  As you might expect for a rover sitting
out in a yard in PA, the body is of course very good, but the frame is a
mess.  The frame is there in form, which is good for reference, but is
structurally shot.

The interior is in excellent condition, even has the tool kit in its wrap!
It runs (pretty well) with a gas IV -- linkage is not functioning.  Clutch
doesn't currently work, reason unknown.  It moves when started in gear, so
the drivetrain is at least partially functional.

No brakes, clutch, exhaust.  Front ball joints not bad, but lots of
suspicious grease on suspension.  I don't know exactly what to look for,
but i understand that lots of grease/oil is bad.

The frame is reasonably solid near vital points (spring mounts, etc.), but
body outriggers and many other sections are shot.  I understand that new
frames are available -- anyone have ideas on price for short wheelbase?

Anyway, I'm interested and very tempted to buy just because it's cool, but
don't want to get too stuck.  If the price is in the $500-700 range, I'll
probably take my chances.  Over $1000, I'm nervous without good advice.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, the sooner the better, email or
phone (724) 225-3082.  I might be able to get it quick, before the ad
appears in the paper.  If anyone knows a rover person in the Pittsburgh, PA
area, please refer me!

Thanks,
Dustin Howarth
'73 Midget 'Margo'  GAN5UD128862 G