Re: rover shopping help

To: "Dustin Howarth" <howarth@pulsenet.com>, "spridget list" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: rover shopping help
From: "Daryl May" <mayfam@sprynet.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 18:32:44 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Dustin,

It sounds like you are going to have to put a lot of money into the car to
fix it - frame, brakes, clutch, exhaust and surprises - so maybe the
difference between buying for $700 and $1000 doesn't matter.  (After you've
spent another $2000, it'll mean the difference between $2700 and $3000.)

So how much do you really want a landrover, and how much do you like fixing
things?

Daryl

----------
> From: Dustin Howarth <howarth@pulsenet.com>
> To: spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
> Subject: rover shopping help
> Date: Thursday, August 27, 1998 5:20 AM
>
> hi gang -
>
> A friend put me onto a '72 landrover Series III short wheelbase that is
> sitting at a garage near me.  The guy at the garage said the owner wants
> get rid of it, but wasn't sure about price (sounds like it's going to be
> somewhere between $500 and $1500.  As you might expect for a rover
sitting
> out in a yard in PA, the body is of course very good, but the frame is a
> mess.  The frame is there in form, which is good for reference, but is
> structurally shot.
>
> The interior is in excellent condition, even has the tool kit in its
wrap!
> It runs (pretty well) with a gas IV -- linkage is not functioning.
Clutch
> doesn't currently work, reason unknown.  It moves when started in gear,
so
> the drivetrain is at least partially functional.
>
> No brakes, clutch, exhaust.  Front ball joints not bad, but lots of
> suspicious grease on suspension.  I don't know exactly what to look for,
> but i understand that lots of grease/oil is bad.
>
> The frame is reasonably solid near vital points (spring mounts, etc.),
but
> body outriggers and many other sections are shot.  I understand that new
> frames are available -- anyone have ideas on price for short wheelbase?
>
> Anyway, I'm interested and very tempted to buy just because it's cool,
but
> don't want to get too stuck.  If the price is in the $500-700 range, I'll
> probably take my chances.  Over $1000, I'm nervous without good advice.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated, the sooner the better, email or
> phone (724) 225-3082.  I might be able to get it quick, before the ad
> appears in the paper.  If anyone knows a rover person in the Pittsburgh,
PA