Unisyn Works - Timing Light Doesn't

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Unisyn Works - Timing Light Doesn't
From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 00:55:27 -0400
Cc: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Some progress tonight.  I got the unisyn to work.  Had to idle the carbs
way up high to do it though.  Once I got them synched I backed down the
idle equally.  Then used a hose to make sure it was still even.  :)

Put the timing light on now that I know I need that little wire adaptor.
Never got a steady flash of light though.  I wonder if I have the wrong
timing specs or if my timing notches may have gotten crunched somehow or if
I'm just not reading them correctly.  Haynes seems to suggest that my 1974
Mark III should be 9 degrees BTDC at 1500 rpm.  When I got close to that
the car started running terribly.  I was lining up the mark on the pulley
with the third notch from the left (I have one of the 5 notch timing
scales).  This should be about 10 degrees actually, but it's rough anywhere
in that area.  I finally just gave up and went back to tuning by sound.
Took it for a spritely test ride and it went well.

Oh, one good thing.  I did confirm that the vernier (sp?) knob does have an
effect.  When I retarded it severely the engine dropped revs significantly
and ran poorly.  Advanced it back up and got it running ok.

Again thanks for past advice on these issues.  Things seem to be starting
to come together.

Philip
1974 Damask Midget - Arioch, Lord of Chaos