Re: Great Drive Today!

To: J6879758@emu.bendigo.latrobe.edu.au
Subject: Re: Great Drive Today!
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 09:30:41 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: phubbard@carroll.com, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
On Fri, 4 Sep 1998 J6879758@emu.bendigo.latrobe.edu.au wrote:

> Phil, and anybody else who knows
>         How do you cool your mill?
>         Electric fan?, horizontal flow radiator?
> I'm in australia where summer is coming and I'm told ( this is my
> first spritely summer) that they boil furiously in the heat.
> I have an elec. fan from a 79 honda that will fit in front of the
> rad. as a pusher. is it worth doing?
> should I bail the mech fan or run them both?
> elec fan on all the time or thermoswitch?
> Thanks
> Andy

Andy,
the stock cooling system works quite well when it is in good shape.  My
Sprite and I used to live in Tucson, AZ with temps routinely over 110F.
The car didn't overheat after I had the slow leak in the radiator fixed.
It got a little hot sitting in traffic, accompanied by a rough idle.
Switching to the 6 blade plastic fan of the later 1275s cured this.
I have the downflow rad, no oile cooler, basically the same setup as a
bugeye.  If you are concerned, calibrate you gauge as recommended, take
your radiator to a shop and have it leak tested and possibly rodded out.
Fit the plastic fan.  I haven't tried an electric fan yet but will convert
soon to eliminate the howling noise at higher revs.

                                                           '67 Sprite