Re: Brakes

To: "Ulix Goettsch" <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Re: Brakes
From: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 09:23:48 -0700
Cc: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I find this approach easiest for me. I did this just on Saturday at the
racetrack (Austin Healey Challenge races) so it is fresh in my mind.

Back off the brake adjuster until it is not contacting the wedges anymore.
remove old shoes, catching the bottom wedge as it pops out. Dab a little
grease (I use copper-based anti-seize) on the wedge so that it sits in
place.
(Not much now or it will melt and ruin your brakes)

Fit springs to the bottom shoe first, place the shoe in position. With the
top of the springs canted forward, slip the spings onto the appropriate
place on the top shoe, ease the shoe back over the handbrake protrusion
and pull each side up into place, one side at a time. Adjust the brakes
up with the adjuster and you are back in business. The whole operation
takes only 2 or 3 minutes (the second side anyhow!).

Mike