RE: bugeye 500 miles

To: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: bugeye 500 miles
From: Chris Kotting <ckotting@iwaynet.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 09:59:50 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Carolien -

Here's my post-500-mile procedure: (If anybody in the list sees a problem
with this, let me know!)

1) Oil and Filter Change
2) Re-torque the head. (HOT, and you can do it while the oil drains)
3) Adjust the valves. (COLD, and must be done after item #2)
4) Recheck ignition timing.
5) Readjust carbs if needed.

I do them in this order, with an overnight rest between 2 and 3 to make
sure the engine is cold before adjusting the valves.  I do it this way
because:
(1) and (2) can be done at the same time,  (and we project managers tend to
obsess about little efficiencies like that)
(2) has to be done before (3),
(3) can affect vacuum, which can affect vacuum advance at idle, hence (4),
and,
by the time you've messed about with (3) and (4) the carb often needs a
slight tweak, hence (5).

Since you've got a rebuilt tranny as well, you might want to drain and
refill the transmission fluid while you're at it.

Chris Kotting
ckotting@iwaynet.net