Tyres

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Tyres
From: Martyn Ridley <ridleymj@bis.on.ca>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 19:05:07 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
1. What is rolling diameter for original Frog(BUG in US)eye Sprite?
2. Name a modern BRITISH radial that will fit
3. Reply please!!!!!!!

We seem to be spending a lot of time on this subject but to date I don't
see that we are really getting anywhere.  If I gauge the issues accurately,
many of us are looking to find out what rubber me put on our various
collection of beasts.  I judge us to be in three camps; purists,
functionalists, & go faster!.
Purists seem to favour cross ply tyres, Functionalists, modern radials, and
go faster, what ever is quickest and stickiest.

Unless anybody can correct me, the only cross ply tyres still out there
(worth buying) are Dunlop's vintage race tyres (L or M series).  Are
vintage race tyres suitable for street use?

As for go faster tyres, I am out of my league.  I know that fitting Vega
rims and race tyres is ultimate bur exactly what is best is not in my
realm. Help anyone?

So, now to us functionalists.  We are looking for good, day to day tyre,
that will fit on a 3.5 (disc), 4.0 (wire) or 4.5 in rim.  In essence we
would like to maintain the original rolling diameter (OK PURISTS!, what is
the original rolling diameter?) and give us the benefits of modern
technology (as those around us will have it and assume we do too!).  I have
no problem with 165/70s if they fit on the 4.0 rim.  Do they?, Safely?
What if I only have the Frog's 3.5 disc wheels?  Is there a 155/75?, or
will a 175/70 or 175/60 that will fit?  I know Dunlop does a 145/80, a
155/80 and a 165/70.  Are there any REAL British mfgers out there that make
equivalent tyres? (Sorry, functionalist I may be, but putting yoko's or CDN
tyre cheep o cheepos is beneath me)  Comments would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Martyn

It's the going, not the getting there, that's good.
         (Harry Chapin - Greyhound)