1275 Headers

To: "Team.Sprite" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: 1275 Headers
From: Scott & Glenda Meyers <autox@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 12:43:25 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
In looking over my new acquisition, I find that the LCB headers
that are on the car are the *smaller* version of two available.
The pipe to the muffler is 1 3/4", not the 1 7/8" of the larger
header. (The header outlet may be 1 5/8").

Since this car came with a spare 948 race motor, I guess this
makes sense. They were probably purchased when the 948 was in the
car, and then just transferred.

The question - I will be using the 1275 motor currently installed
for SCCA autocross. Will the smaller headers be:

a) OK

b) best for this purpose (i.e., more torque)

c) marginal

for my purpose?

My intent is to have a Nationally competitive car in D Street
Prepared, so please base your answers/opinions on the basis of
that goal.

Side note - one of the two bottom header tubes is severely
dented, thus requiring repair and/or replacement. Is this a
simple fix (cutting out dented piece, welding in new)?

If replacement of the entire header is the best answer, this
would have a direct influence on the first question above.....

Thanks for your input.

Scott Meyers
60 Bugeye
Phoenix, Arizona