Left hand threads

To: mrbugeye@hotmail.com
Subject: Left hand threads
From: Ron Madurski <rmadursk@galaxy.galstar.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 09:33:04 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
:
:Shawn,
:Sounds to me like it's leaking around the oilseal that is on the inside
:of the hub. You will need to remove the hub to replace it, just remember
:that one side is RH thread and the other LH, I can never remember which
:is which. Might just want to go ahead and replace the bearing while you

I never "remember" which is which.  But it is easy to figure out.  The
reason that LH threads are used it to keep the rotation of the part from
loosening the fastener.  So if the axle rotates primarily clockwise that
is the direction that the fastener will be tightened.  Use a
counter-clockwise torque to loosen it.  Other common places for this to
occur is tensioner pulleys, water pumps, Alternators, and transfer
cases.

Just an observation that makes for one less thing to remember.

--
Ron Madurski
rmadursk@galstar.com