Re: Rear Axle Leak

To: shk <shk@qnet.com>, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Rear Axle Leak
From: Greg MAHNEY <mahney@central.murdoch.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 08:46:53 +0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Shawn

There is actually an Oil sel in there as well.  It is in the hub, right
next to the wheel bearing.

I did mine a couple of weekends ago.  I "drifted" the old one out with a
screwdriver, and Drifted a new one in, after coating it with oil, with a
large socket and then a bit of wood.

I'll be interested to know whether more experienced listers have a more
elegant method.

BTW, mines not leaking at the moment.

I'm told you also have to make sure that air vent thingy on top of the diff
is clear of muck.  I couldn't actually see how that is meant to work - mine
just seems to seal the hole??

Greg

At 10:37 PM -0700 21/9/98, shk wrote:
>I'm having a bad week.  My driver's side rear axle is leaking.  I have
>replaced the o-ring & gasket but it is still leaking.  I tried taking
>it apart and looking for obvious problems but found none.  It is
>leaking at a pretty healthy pace.  What am I overlooking?
>
>Shawn

Greg Mahney in Perth, Western Australia.

Mk 2A, Sprite, with a 948 engine (and it's my wife's anyway!)

e-mail:  mahney@central.murdoch.edu.au