Re: Transmission Help Needed

To: spritenut@Exit109.com
Subject: Re: Transmission Help Needed
From: pasgeirsson@juno.com (Paul A Asgeirsson)
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 23:24:06 EDT
Cc: pauld@ekpc.com, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Taking off the side plate won't allow you to see the first gear as it's
covered with with the shifter fork.  Even with a dental mirror, viewing
is impossible.  The gear set in the 66 may be the "A' gear set and they
are not interchangeable with the later "G" sets due to a change in the
angle of the gears,  Nearly all transmissions with "no history" and that
are out of the car, are just paper weights.  The two critical parts in
these gearboxes are the first gear ring and the lay gear,  They are both
available now in repro parts but the prices are outrageous. Toss in new
bearings, new lay shaft, new tailpiece bushing, and several thicker
thrust washers and the possibility of a worn out case, they are pretty
pricey things.  Actually cheaper to go with a kit and a Japanese 4
speed,(with a first gear sybchro,) and get it over with.

I have been rebuilding these gearboxes for over 25 years and they are not
all that bad fot holding the engine torque, but they still don't have a
synchro in first gear.

Paul Asgeirsson
Morriservice
9123 N Clarendon Ave