RE: I found the Knock!!!--And A Question!

To: "'Lancer7676@aol.com'" <Lancer7676@aol.com>, "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: I found the Knock!!!--And A Question!
From: Chris Kotting <ckotting@iwaynet.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 07:43:18 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
David -

I think it's time to chalk another one up for the DSOB mechanic.  There
>>>is NO lower thrust washer<<< on the 1500!  The 1500 has two thrust
bearings both on the upper side, one on either side of the same main
bearing journal.

I'll say this for the mechanic, when he bodges up a car, he's thorough.

Chris Kotting
ckotting@iwaynet.net

On Tuesday, September 22, 1998 10:57 PM, Lancer7676@aol.com
[SMTP:Lancer7676@aol.com] wrote:
> Perhaps everyone will remember that several weeks ago I noted that my '79
> Midget (1500) had this knock that I could not locate.  Well last week the
> knock got louder and worse.  Noted that it changed pitch when the clutch
was
> depressed.  I felt it had somethng to do with the clutch, although I did
not
> rule out a rod.  Sooooo. . .this week I set about pulling the engine to
find
> the problem.  Dropped the oil pan and pulled the caps--bearings showed a
> little wear, not serious though, just a little movement in the rods--all
> bearings, mains and rods, were +0.10.  Thrust washer just scuffed a
little,
> std size.
>
> Pulled the engine and VIOLA!!!!  The flywheel was flopping about like a
wet
> goose!  The DSOBPO's DSOB mechanic had installed the clutch disc
BACKWARDS,
> and it had eaten the springs inthe disc up, and they in turn had loosed
all
> the flywheel bolts.  Result--a floppy flywheel!!!  And a hell of a lot of
> noise!!!
>
> So after I order SICP's special 3 part clutch kit for $78 bucks tomorrow,
> along with new bearings and thrust washers (same size as those I
> removed--+.010 Bearings and Std. Thrust Washers), Taz (My Midget) will be
well
> on the way to recovery.
>
> MY QUESTION!!    When I removed the rear main cap to check the thrust
washers,
> the lower thrust washer had 3 rivets through it by which it was attached
> the cap while the upper thrust washer was free to float. My old-line
British
> car mechanic said he had never seen anything like this.  SHOULD there be
3
> rivets securing the lower thrust washer inthe 1500 engine, or was this
yet
> another lamebrainstorm of the DSOBPO's DSOB mechanic?  It seems to me
that if
> the thrust washer were to wear just a bit there would be 3 steel rivets
> gouging their way into the crank.  Does the lower thrust washer for the
1500
> COME with 3 holes to fit over the rivets?  I will appreciate expediency
in
> your answers, as I am ordering tomorrow and rebuilding Thursday night.
 Thanks