Re: bugeye 500 mile

To: carolien coulter <carolien@coastalnet.com>
Subject: Re: bugeye 500 mile
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 21:16:13 -0400
Cc: majordome <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
carolien coulter wrote:

> hi everyone,
> Well, I changed oil and transmission oil, retorqued head(which didn't need
> anything),adjusted valves(some minor tweaks),check timing( needed
> adjustment),checked all fluid levels etc. and now the car is running worse
> than it ever has. I has a rattle, which sounds to me like a valve rattle,
> but I have adjusted the valves 3 times. I sounds fine when it's idling in
> the garage, but when I drive it and change gears as soon as I push the gas
> pedal after every gear change ( 2nd to third-third to fourth and after
> changing into fourth)it rattles.After its up to speed, its fine, but the
> initial acceleration after gear change it's bad.Even high RPM out of gear
> it's fine .Any suggestions???Thanks, Carol '59Bugeye

Carol

It might be a bad generator bearing, or loose fan on the generator.
Try to wiggle the fan on the generator, I have seen many of these work
loose and rattle.
If you bought one of those cheap timing chains, they only last about 500
miles. I found that out twice! They stretch out and rattle but usually
on deceleration.
A loose valve or rocker will tap or click and increase with speed, a
rattle will be more constant.

Hope this helps
--
Frank Clarici