Dizzy drive spindle - obscure question

To: "spridgeteers" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dizzy drive spindle - obscure question
From: "Ron Soave" <redlotus@spacey.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 16:44:36 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Does anyone have a feel for what kind of clearance there should be between
the dizzy drive spindle and the block?  The 1275 engine rebuild helper (AKA
"The Engine Nazi") is making me paranoid about buttoning things up because
he thinks the gear is too sloppy in the hole it sits in (the hole where it
exits the crankcase to the distributor drive housing).  There are grooves
cut into the outer edge of the spindle flange which are clearly untouched,
so I assume the gear sits fine as it is.  The teeth on the spindle mate
fine with the cam, so I see no problem.  The Engine Nazi thinks otherwise.

Looking back at what I just wrote, does anyone know what I'm talking
about???  The Nazi is killing me.  Never again will I put together a
british engine in his fifth-dimension-place-do-it-my-way presence.