Transmission Help

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Transmission Help
From: "Paul A. Dolloff, Ph.D." <pauld@ekpc.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 10:29:15 -0500EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
List,

I want to thank everyone for the input on my transmission question.
This weekend I bought an '80 Datsun 210SL Wagon with a five speed and
150k miles.  I'll be taking the tranny out one night this week.

The car is a total piece of crap but we did manage to get it started.
I drove it and barely managed to get it into 4th - it just wouldn't
go any faster to try 5th.  It didn't make any grinding or squeeling
sounds so I think that it is good to go.  It did have an extreme
amount of side to side play in the shifting lever even when engaged
in gear.  Someone on the list suggested I look for this and have the
bushing replaced while replacing all bearings and the 2nd and 3rd
syncro's.  I was told that this is easily correctable with a new
plastic bushing.

I would like to mention that there can be a little confusion when
trying to determine if you have the right Datsun.  You need a 210.
The title of the car may read B310!  Datsun used the chassis number
B310 to describe different car model numbers including the 210.  For
a while there, I thought I had bought the wrong car.

The true test is to look at the transmission number.  It must start
with the letter F.

One last thing, the transmission from a wagon is not a heavy-duty
version of the 210 car.  However, the wagon does have a slightly
longer gear shift lever than the car version because the wagon has
larger seats.

I'm really looking forward to the conversion.

HEY!  Can I save the alternator for a conversion from the A/H
generator later on?

Thanks again,
Paul
Paul A. Dolloff, Ph.D.