Re: Oven Baking Wheels

To: pauld@ekpc.com, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Oven Baking Wheels
From: Bkitterer@aol.com
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 21:58:23 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 10/13/98 12:59:11 PM, pauld@ekpc.com writes:

<<A buddy of mine just remodeled his kitchen and has given me his old
oven.  I am going to wire a 220v outlet in my garage for the purpose
of baking on painted Sprite parts.  I need to know what are the
recommended paints and procedures for doing this.  Is there a
procedure posted on someone's website?

Finally, what experences are there with these cheap, do-it-yourself
powder coating tools?  Someone from the list pointed me to the HotCoat
Powder Coating kit from the Eastwood company for $149.99.  Do you get
what you pay for or do these things do a decent job?

I'll be using a sandblaster to strip parts if this is a
consideration.

Paul,

Pretty sure it was Eastman that did a seminar at the Carlisle show.  I thought
that the unit did a nice job but there are more items to be bought in addition
to the gun.  For instance, powder if you are going to do more than one color,
high temp tape and plugs to protect areas that you do not want to coat, extra
gun cups for that extra powder, plus hangers and maintenance items.  Then
probably some waste in learning the best way to use the material.  My take on
it is that if you are only going to do a few parts at a time it may be cheaper
than going to a commercial source (minimum fees) but if you are going to do a
lot of parts at one time I think you are better off with a powder coater.  We
had all of our parts done at the same time and did five colors, (gloss black,
crinkle black, silver, yellow and red) two more than most folks I am sure.  If
you are looking at powder coating wire wheels give some consideration to the
possibility of altering the temper in the spokes.  Also the wheel can not be
trued with out breaking the powder coat.  At least one local wire wheel shop
will not work on wires that have been powder coated.

Our 2 cents

Bob and Annice
1960 Sprite