Re: Oiling the steering rack.

To: Andrew.Griffith@ReadRite.com, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Oiling the steering rack.
From: Bkitterer@aol.com
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 21:58:20 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 10/13/98 1:58:52 PM, Andrew.Griffith@ReadRite.com writes:

<<      I just received my new steering rack boots for my '62MK2, so prior

to installing them I thought I'd read up on the finer points of this rack,

via the Haynes Sprite & Midget manual. I was surprised to read that this

early rack requires 10 oz. of SAE 140 wt. gear oil, and even more surprised,

well I guess not, that the book doesn't mention how to get the blasted oil

in the rack. Upon studying the rack I can see a grease fitting on one end,

so am I correct to assume the there is some special tool out there in cyber

space that injects oil via a grease fittings? Or does the oil go in via the

damper pad caps?

        If the oil does go in via the grease fitting... what would happen if

someone pumps in a load of grease by mistake? Not that I did... just a

thought.>>

Drew,

The BMC factory workshop manual says to use 90 wt gear oil, same as the rear
axle.  At your local boat supply you can get the LubriMatic Code No. 11138
grease gun, it has a short flexable hose with a zerk nozzel. The lubricant (90
wt) is in tubes and screws into the gun so it can be operated in any position
without oil running all over the place.  Perfect for doing the steering rack.
The unit cost about $15 plus the tubes of oil.

Bob and Annice
1960 Sprite