leaf spring problems

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: leaf spring problems
From: Daniel Thompson <dthompso@total.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 21:22:51 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Starting now to sandblast, paint and re-assemble components of the '58
Bugeye. I took a close look at my leaf springs for the first time since
taking them off the car a year ago.

On one side, here's what I have: 9 thin leaves, one medium-thick leaf,
one thick leaf, and three more medium thick leaves (the last two form
the "eye"). Total 14 leaves. On this side the "eye" or "loop" at the end
of the has an end to end crack in it just where it curves to tuck back
under the other leaves.

On the other side, I have: 8 thin leaves, 2 thick leaves, and 3 medium
thick leaves (the last two form the "eye"). Total 13 leaves.

Here's my questions:

I know there's supposed to be 15 leaves, so I assume a DPO has left out
a few in previous restoration, right? The factory never did this!

The crack does not look safe to me, can it be welded? Or is replacement
the only way to go?

Anyone have a real good used set with 15 leaves, or an NOS set? Can I
buy some not-so-good used sets and mix and match to get the best
combination?

Thanks,

Daniel
AN5L 612 (starting real slow)