Re: Brake fluid, seals, specs and more

To: <Daniel1312@aol.com>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Brake fluid, seals, specs and more
From: "Guy Weller" <Guy.Weller@nationwideisp.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 20:45:24 +0100
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Daniel,
You seem to know a bit about this brake fluid stuff (gg)
I recently bought DOT 5 fluid to fill a completely rebuilt/ new system on my
Sprite.  I believed from earlier exchanges on the List that DOT 5 was
synonymous with Silicone fluid. After filling the system I discovered that
it was not Silicone (it ate paint).  So now I have a DOT 5 system. Do I have
anything to worry about ?

Also, from this experience I have taken the DOT classification to be a
measure of physical performance rather than of chemical composition. This
might explain different experiences of how the chemical fluid reacts with
natural or neoprene rubber seals.
Perhaps everyone is right !
Guy