Re: handbrake

To: Steve Hombach <shombach@ee.net>
Subject: Re: handbrake
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 17:18:24 -0400
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Steve Hombach wrote:

> does a handbrake cable stretch?  59 Bugeye with the brakes properly
> adjusted - the handbrake adjustment at the rear is backed out to the point
> that the adjusting nut is half off, but the handbrake lever still goes all
> the way up before the brakes grab.  Any other adjustments?  If I have to
> replace the cable, is it just the inner or must you replace the cable
> sheath too.  Any advice appreciated.

Steve

Yes the cables do stretch, especialy after 39 years.
They usually last 20 years before the are stretched out.
New ones are available but the new ones (made in Asia, sold in the US
for the British car) stretch out in about a year.
Get the cable that is made in the UK, check with AH Spares, stay away
from the cables supplied by the big 2 on this side of the pond.
Been there, and replaced them inside of 12 months.
You do NOT want the one that says "Moprod" on it.

Happy hunting

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ