Torqueing the Head

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Torqueing the Head
From: Dave Hiley <dhiley@cadvision.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 18:03:00 -0600
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hello,

I now have 320 miles on my 1275 rebuild and have developed an oil leak from
the left side of the block under the headers.  I cannot be positive but the
only place I can figure is the head gasket is leaking.  Seems to diminish
greatly or perhaps even stop when the engine reaches full operating temp.
I have a few questions to put to the list:

1. When I re-torqued the head after the initial 25 minute start period, and
once since then, I did it as I was instructed. ie I loosened each nut
individually and then re-torqued to 50lb one at a time.  Should I have
loosened them all first and then tightened them in order?  Is this best
done when the engine is warm or stone cold?

2.  I put in 10-1 pistons but the head and block were just trued up.  The
head gasket was not copper/steel but was one (presumably asbestos/steel)
included in a rebuild kit from WC.  Because I purchased the pistons there I
inquired whether the gasket I had was adequate and was given assurances.
(The gaskets came in a blue and white box - can't remember the brand name)
Because of the higher compression, should I have automatically gone to the
other style gasket?  Opinions please.

TIA
dave
'72 MKIII