Re: 5-speed clutch

To: dwramsey@worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: 5-speed clutch
From: pasgeirsson@juno.com (Paul A Asgeirsson)
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 12:45:53 EST
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net

On Mon, 26 Oct 98 18:59:48 PST "David Ramsey" <dwramsey@worldnet.att.net>
writes:
>Well I guess I get to park my bug-i for the winter.  Smoked the clutch
>=
>today big time, got mad and drove it back to the shop anyway. I was
>runni=
>ng a 1098 flywheel and pressure plate with bill's disc.  Does anyone
>know=
> what flywheel I can run with a 1275 clutch on a 948 crank?  I have a
>127=
>5 lightened flywheel that is cut out where it fits on the crank and it
>=
>won't fit on the earlier motors.  The 1098 flywheels won't work with a
>=
>1275 clutch, been there and tried that.
>               Crash

Hi Crash,

There are several solutions you could use.

 Your original problem may be that the disc supplied to you is the same
diameter as a 1275 disc, 6 1/2 inches.  If you are running this with a
1098 clutch cover, with a 7 1/4 inch diameter, you may not have had total
contact with the friction surface and consequently slippage would be
inevitable.

Continuing to use the 1098 cover you could try a Datsun disc, part number
C1010M-C9900VW.  This has the correct hub for the 210 5 speed input shaft
and the disc has a diameter of 7 1/8 inches by 1 1/8 inch wide facing.

If you want to continue using the supplied disc that you got with your
kit, then have your existing flywheel refaced, and redrilled to accepth
the 1275 cover.

The best solution is to have you existing flywheel refaced and redrilled
to the Datsun clutch cover.  This will give you bullet proof clutch parts
that will outlast your brit pieces by a long shot.  I do this proceedure
for $85.00 to your flywheel.

Best, Paul

Paul Asgeirsson
Morriservice