Re: Electronic Ignition

To: Jeff Zurschmeide <zurschmeidej@interactivenw.com>
Subject: Re: Electronic Ignition
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 23:43:42 -0500
Cc: "'Patton Dickson'" <kpdii@mindspring.com>, "'Jeff Boatright'" <jboatri@emory.edu>, "'Carlson, Rob'" <rcarlson@csw.com>, "'spridgets@Autox.Team.Net'" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Jeff Zurschmeide wrote:
> (put a mark on the ceramic where the plug gap lines up and then
> thread a bazillion plugs into the head and choose for a given cylinder
> only those that line up with the gap facing closest to the center of the
> combustion chamber)

  As mentioned, you can use thing washers for this purpose
instead. Just scratch the outside part of metal on the
plug where the electrode is, and use washers until it lines
up where you want when tightened.

  BTW the goal is to have the opening on the spark electrode
aimed at the intake valve, not for any kind of centering.

  It's a very minor effect, but you can imagine the difference
between the fuel air coming at the plug from an open side,
or from the side where the electrode blocks the spark
chamber.

  Realistically though, I wouldn't bother. Besides, the
spark goes after the valve is closed anyways, so the
fuel charge should be more or less everywhere.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca