A question on wheel bearings

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: A question on wheel bearings
From: Thecarguru@aol.com
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 04:18:04 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hi everyone.
I was taking the bearings out of my front hubs and noticed that some of them
fall right apart, and others stay together. When I pulled one of the hubs, the
inner bearing came out of the race. After cleaning, packing with grease, I put
all the ball bearings back into the brass cage, with the center race, and it
would not go all the way back into the outer race without a smack with the
handle of a hammer. Now, did I just ruin this bearing, was it not any good to
begin with, or is this normal? Are they supposed to come apart?Or is this a
case of different manufacturers have different styles of ball bearing...
Thanks a bunch in advance!
Gary
75 Midgets