RE: A question on wheel bearings

To: "'Mark Endicott'" <endicott@nashville.com>
Subject: RE: A question on wheel bearings
From: "Hanna, Mark" <mhanna@ball.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 14:57:12 -0700
Cc: "'Spridgets@Autox.Team.Net'" <Spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hi Mark ,
It has been my experience that you do not want to over tighten the "NUT"
20 or so years ago when I first bought my Sprite , I was too poor to
properly
maintain it . When I discovered front wheel bearing play I over tightened
the "NUT"
until the play went away . A few days latter while driving on the LA freeway
the left  front of the car dropped several inches and the wheel bounced down

the road ahead of me . Thank god nobody was hurt ! I'm not sure if the
failure
was caused by the bearing seizing and twisting the stub axle off , or the
axle
being stretched to the point of failure . I replaced the stub axle and all
wheel
bearings . I've never had a problem since . BTW it is time for me to do the
job
again . This time in addition to new bearings (and seals) I will have the
stub
axles magnafluxed . Good Luck ,
                                               Mark Hanna
                                               AN5L/13731