Re: Temperature guage

To: RobertDuquette@compuserve.com, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Temperature guage
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 1998 19:35:27 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I disagree with the "just above freezing" comment.  I was refering to a car
with a properly operating thermostat.  If the 'stat opens at 180 deg., the
engine should be able to heat up to that point in a relatively short amount of
time, as long as the ambient temperature is somewhat above zero degrees F.  If
the thermostat is STUCK closed and the temp is well below freezing, the engine
will still overheat.  Those cylinders generate a lot of heat through friction
and combustion.

It would have to be very cold (Alaska maybe?) for the engine to run
comfortably, with a PROPERLY operating thermostat that DID NOT open because
the engine never heated the coolant up to 180 deg, IMHO.

A thermostat that is stuck OPEN (or missing) under these conditions would be
as bad as one stuck closed.  Proper operating temperature is vital for engine
health and longevity.

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport

In a message dated 11/1/98 10:28:38 AM Eastern Standard Time,