1974 Midget and Me Update

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 1974 Midget and Me Update
From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 1998 22:48:32 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Some very bad news, some kinda bad news and some thanks.

Several people were nice enough to read my recent article on my experiences
with getting help through the Spridgets and MGs list in the current issue
of PUDDLJMPR and inquired about Arioch, my 1974 Midget.  More on current
issues I'm dealing with concerning the car, but I wanted to let folks know
that I have been very quiet lately because of some very bad news.  My wife
and I are in the middle of a divorce.  Lots of details no one needs or
wants to know, but as an end result I will be moving back to the great
Midwest (Kansas City) day before Thanksgiving.

Need to get the Midget ready to be a daily driver.  One of my current
concerns is the very, very strong gas vapor smell.  With the top up (it is
occaisionally up) I just about pass out.  It's strongest when one opens up
the boot and sniffs around.  I'm going to look around into replacing the
main filler hose as that looks ratty and things may escalate to a new gas
tank.  I notice the underside has some surface rust and figure that if that
is the case, the top may have actual pin holes.

Second concern I'm seeking advice about.  Tooling about town on the
beautiful weekend we had two weekends ago and noticed that the tach and
fuel guage were completely caput.  Looked at the wiring diagram and noticed
there is a common denominator of a fuse.  Sure enough - blown.  Hmmmm...not
much current used by these two instruments and I don't notice anything else
is on the same circuit or is not functioning.  So, I replace the fuse and
drive on.  Hours later it blows again.  Ok, gotta figure it out now.

I don't discount a possible short somewhere, but tracing the wiring diagram
I come across a part I'd never have thought of which sounds vaguely like if
it were not functioning properly would result in blown fuses.  The part in
question: a bi-metal instrument voltage stabilizer.  Anyone have any
experience with this thing?  Could this be it?  What are suggestions for
tracing down the problem?

As always, I am extremely grateful for any suggestions on either of my car
problems.

Praises be to the list!
1974 Damask Midget - Arioch, Lord of Chaos