Re: cooling system question

To: ulix@u.washington.edu, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: cooling system question
From: Bkitterer@aol.com
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 03:17:56 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net

<<> Question Two:
>> Is a metal 6-blade fan more efficient than the plastic fan
>> already there, assuming the other components of the cooling
>> system remain the same?

>I heard that the six blade plastic fan was good, but that was compared to
>my 4 blade metal fan.  Is the 6-blade metal fan stock for some model
>years?

Six blade metal fans were stock on at least late1967 cars.

>>Question Four:
>> Is plain water and this red liquid stuff better than ready
>> made antifreeze (green or blue coloured ethyleno-glycol, please
>> forgive the spelling)?

>H2O and Water Wetter is better than 50/50 antifreeze, but doesn't protect
>your system from rust or freezing.

We have always experienced higher engine temperatures with higher percents of
anitfreeze (I think that is one thing that ulix is saying).  Recently flushed
our cooling system and changed from 50/50 anitfreeze/H20 and Water Wetter to
25/75 anitfreeze/H20 and Water Wetter.  Our operating temperature has dropped
from 180-190 down to 165-180 with a 160 degree thermostat.  Of course the
entire change may be just due to flushing the system, it had considerably more
sludge than I expected.

Bob and Annice
1960 Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)