Re: cooling system question

To: "Evangelos G. Makris" <emakris@hol.gr>
Subject: Re: cooling system question
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 21:52:56 -0800 (PST)
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
On Mon, 2 Nov 1998, Evangelos G. Makris wrote:

> Question One:
> I want to get rid of the cast-iron pump and install a high
> capacity alloy water pump. Which bottom hose do I need, cause
> I think the hose bores are not the same on these two pumps?

Don't know, replaced alloy with alloy, but didn't have to buy any special
hoses, just bought the standard ones.

> Question Two:
> Is a metal 6-blade fan more efficient than the plastic fan
> already there, assuming the other components of the cooling
> system remain the same?

I heard that the six blade plastic fan was good, but that was compared to
my 4 blade metal fan.  Is the 6-blade metal fan stock for some model
years?

> Question Three:
> If I blank off the bypass hose with a suitable kit but keep the
> thermostat as is, will cooling be improved or worsened?

This is a good question.  I always thought that the bypass hose allowed
circulation within the block when the thermostat was closed and doesn't
allow circulation through the radiator yet.  If that is the case, you
wouldn't want to remove it at all if you keep the thermostat.  But I may
be wrong.

> Question Four:
> Is plain water and this red liquid stuff better than ready
> made antifreeze (green or blue coloured ethyleno-glycol, please
> forgive the spelling)?

H2O and Water Wetter is better than 50/50 antifreeze, but doesn't protect
your system from rust or freezing.

Have you had your radiator taken apart and cleaned out yet?

                                                           '67 Sprite